Thursday, March 4, 2010

Final Chapter of Part One

“Parent” Sister’s Intuition
The streets of Twin Falls, Idaho were no longer blanketed in delicate white crystals, but drenched in muddy water and browning snow.  Green grass and flower buds started their game of peek-a-boo as spring finally began to steal the spotlight from winter.  To the old couple next door, this meant it was time to start gardening and buying candles that smelt of lilacs and daisy fields.  The warm changing weather meant fishing and camping to our next door neighbors (a couple with four boys).  However to me, spring meant spring break; a two week break from school and from my family life at home. Yes, this spring break I was promised, by my uncle, that I would spend it with him and go to the fair in Hagerman.  I was so elated! What better way to rejuvenate, then to spend the break with my uncle, aunt and baby cousin (plus a bonus of cotton candy and carnival rides)? 


As time for my vacation grew nearer it seemed the days dragged on longer.   The world around me was moving in slow motion and I hated it.  I almost wanted to leave early, (three weeks early to be exact) but my uncle assured me it’d be best if I stayed in school for those three weeks.  So I did. During the course of the three weeks our school started a fundraiser. I think you know what I’m talking about. The fundraisers where your child brings home four or five catalogs; one for chocolates and candy, one for jeweler, one for knick-knacks, and one for candles?  I was always clear to my family that we DO NOT EVER PARTICIPATE IN THESE FUNDRAISERS! The reason being, the money could and would be stolen by either my mother or her druggy friends.  Well, my little sister decided to try and do the fundraiser that year. She asked Lena and she told Bonnie that it would be perfectly okay. Bonnie took the catalog around to several people, but no one would buy from such a little girl. 


Two little girls go to the same house at different times to sell products for their fundraiser. The first little girl is from a broken home, with clothes that don’t fit a boney body, and ratted hair.  Buyers coil and wince mentally sometimes physically at the thought of doing business with someone, who obviously would steal their money. The second little girl is from an average, good home, with matching socks, a cashmere sweater and nice jeans with her hair neatly pulled back.  The buyers don’t think twice from buying from this little girl and might even buy extra.  This unfortunate truth was more than enough to dissuade me from even considering doing a fundraiser.


Bonnie went to our neighbors across the street, an old couple with gorgeous flowers decorating their yard.  The husband wanted to buy his wife some candles and jewelry. It was obvious he was madly in love with her even after 65 years or so of marriage. He ended up spending forty-five dollars on merchandise and paid Bonnie in cash.  I told Bonnie to take the money to school and give it the teacher right away.  Lena talked Bonnie into giving the money to her to “hold on to”.   


A few weeks went by and the deadline to turn the money in had passed and Bonnie had since forgotten about the cash Lena “was holding onto”.  I had other things to worry about. It was vacation time! My uncle was coming that afternoon and we would be off to Hagerman for two weeks of fun!  I had my bag packed and was ready to go when my uncle pulled up to the drive. I didn’t even think twice about saying goodbye to my little brothers and sister.  I didn’t even bother talking to Lena.  When we go to Hagerman I was only there a couple days before I started feeling uneasy.  All I could think about was my family. 


I woke up one morning and told my uncle I needed to go home. I told him I didn’t feel right about something.  He talked to me for a minute asking if it was homesickness, I said yes, however, we all know that was a lie.  I just knew in my heart that something was not right.  Before we left that morning Lena called my uncle to inform me that Bonnie had gone two days ago to live with John Sr. I was devastated, but I still felt that something else was wrong.


Uncle Maurice loaded up his beaten old’ Bronco and went inside to talk to his wife Beth.  As I got ready to take my seat, I couldn’t help but notice that the leather material over the seat was almost completely gone, yet there was one corner that was looked as if it never saw a day of wear or tear. On the ride home I diligently picked at that spot. We stopped to get gas and I lifted my leg and couldn’t help but notice the leather didn’t look like I had even touched it. It was a survivor.  

A few blocks away from my house a police car pulled out in front of us, and soon two more.  I don’t know how I knew but I knew where they were heading. We pulled up just seconds after the police vehicles, to find Child Protection Services, a van and several other police cars already there.  My heart cried the tears my eyes would not allow.  My eyes had to portray a brick wall, I needed to be strong.  


Stepping out of the bronco the first sight I saw was Logan crying. I went and picked him and he said that they were going to take everyone away. I handed him off to my uncle and went to find my two older brothers Chris and John.  They were in the back room talking.  Chris and John were in total shock. They couldn’t understand how she could get caught. I looked at them and told them that I thought it was about time. Chris hit me across the face, just as a police officer was coming down the hall. He took Chris and John outside.  I went to my uncle to see if he’d figured out what had happened.


The neighbors had called the police to retrieve the money from Bonnie that was owed them.  When the officer arrived the kids were alone and Lena was gone. Killkenny brought out a construction glove that had a methamphetamine needle inside and speed pen.  The officer took the glove and asked Killkenny who it belonged too. He told him it was Chuck’s and our Mother’s.  The officer called some more police men and entered the home.  Upon walking through the home, he was appalled at cat urine and feces all over the floor, fifthly bedrooms with food on the floors, and a kitchen that screamed hazardous. Finishing his search the officer called Health and Welfare and CPS was there in a heartbeat. I arrived in the middle of all of this.


I took off running after the police snagged my older brothers and ran to Allan’s. I needed to tell him what was happening.  I got to Allan’s and he gave me my pay for that week.  I headed down to the Mustard Seed (a local store) and bought a few things. I got to Allan’s and there was a car with two women in it. 


When I reached Allan he asked if I had done anything wrong, I told him what had happened and that we were being taken away. The two women came up to me and I went with them where I’d meet up with my family at the Department of Health and Welfare.  Lena showed up after I had left.  And was cuffed and taken into custody.  When I arrived at Health and Welfare I was taken by Pat (my caseworker) to my foster home in Jerome…the beginning of a whole new journey.


End of Part One

3 comments:

  1. You have to finish this! I want to hear the rest of the story! :-) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow LeAndra, you are an amazing writer. I already knew some of this but what I read hit me hard. I couldn't stop until I got to the end of what you've finished so far. Are you going to get this published in a book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow...what an awful tale of a broken childhood! You are an accomplished writer with tales of sadness and hopefully tales of joy as well. I'll be waiting to read more!

    ReplyDelete